Child Care Checklist
By Vanessa Rasmussen, © 2004, All rights reserved.
Seeking quality childcare for your children requires time, effort, and considerable research on part of every parent. The process of choosing a quality childcare program consists of several stages, which have been described in all the articles listed on this website. To make life easier, given below is a checklist that entails each and every aspect of finding the right program.
Phase I - Research
1. Have you bought brochures from at least 5 day care centers? [ _ ]
2. Have you researched on the Internet, Local publications, and school notice boards? [ _ ]
3. Have you contacted your local childcare organization or association, if any? [ _ ]
Phase II - Visiting a center
1. Have you taken appointments to meet the director and other personnel of the childcare center, and visit the center? [ _ ]
2. Did you spend at least 25 to 30 minutes inspecting the center for safety? Standards, amenities and other facilities provided? [ _ ]
3. Have you prepared a comprehensive questionnaire to interview the director, and other personnel? [ _ ]
4. Have you checked the credentials of the people working at the center [ _ ]
5. Have you checked the facility for hygiene and cleanliness? [ _ ]
6. Have you made a note of all activities and programs that the facility incorporates for development of your child ? [ _ ]
7. Does the facility meet all legal requirements such as licensing? [ _ ]
8. Have you checked as many references as possible before short listing? [ _ ]
9. Have you interacted with care givers to ensure that they are friendly and dedicated to their work? [ _ ]
Phase III - Financing
1. Have you worked out all costs involved and ensured that there are no hidden fees? [ _ ]
2. Have you approached local childcare associations to avail any subsidies or benefits that you may qualify for? [ _ ]
Phase IV - Monitoring
1. Do you regularly monitor the childcare facility (at least once every 2 weeks.? [ _ ]
2. Do you interact with caregivers often to find out the progress of your child? [ _ ]
Copyright 2001, 2004. All rights reserved. Any reproduction of this article in whole or in part without written or verbal permission is strictly prohibited. For information about reprinting this article, contact the copyright owner: Vanessa Rasmussen, Ph.D, Starting a Day Care Center, http://www.startingadaycarecenter.com.